Community Baptist Church

History of Community Baptist Church

1stold_church
 
The Community Baptist Church of Saginaw began on March 23, 1959 when four men had a vision of a fundamental, Bible-believing church for the area of Shields. These men met together, prayed, and waited for God's leading. They searched all possibilities for a land location that they felt was the Lord's will; however, nothing opened up so they called for the services to be held at the home of Bob Barrigar.


 
 
1church
 

The church became incorporated with the State of Michigan on September 26, 1961. The church grew and the service were moved from the house parlor into a garage which had been renovated for the purpose of expansion. Shortly thereafter, two brothers gave the church a parcel of land adjacent to their home at 8331 Gratiot Road in Shields where the church is located today. Later, the brothers offered to sell the remaining portion of the land to the church and CBC accepted. The church had seven pastors between the years 1961 and 1978. In May of 1978,after being without a pastor for six months, CBC extended an invitation to the Rev. Douglas R. Jackson of Pennsylvania to be the Pastor of Community Baptist Church.

 Church22
 
Pastor Jackson started in August of 1978; under his leadership the   church has grown in attendance and finances. On the first Sunday he stepped into the pulpit there were 62 people present. Under his direction today, the average weekly attendance is now over 600. In 1981 Community Baptist Christian School was established for students to enroll in a traditional educational program from grades K4-12.
 
   
church5
 
 
 
The church has been involved in seven major remodeling projects and building addition programs since 1980. In 1982 the auditoruim was expanded 6,000 sqare-feet to include additional space on the east and west wings of the auditorium. The church also built a much needed 10,500-square-foot gymnasium/school/fellowship complex to enhance its facilities in 1983.
 
 
church6
 
 In 1998 the church remodeled the vestibule and restrooms, and added a 6,500-square-foot addition to the auditorium. This half million dollar remodeling project was enhanced by new pews, beautiful front windows, and a steeple.
 
 
 

In 2001 the church reacquired the Outsidenewsign2adjacent Burger King property to be used as a Sunday School Annex; however, the building was torn down and changed into a parking lot in 2007. The school added four beautiful classrooms and all-event room in 2005 to help accomodate our Christian School and Church ministries.
God has graciously blessed the church in growth, improved facilities, and a continual vision for souls. Community Bapist Church is actively engaged in a world-wide missionary program supporting over 100 missionaries.
 
 
 
 
 
oldchurchwithpeoplechurch1churchorange1
           

      Early 1960s                              Late 1970s                            1980s-1990s

 

Churchauditorium2011

                                           Auditorium 2000--Present   

Our Schedule

Sunday:


Adult Bible Study- 10:00 am
Children's Sunday School- 10:00 am
Morning Service - 11:00 am
Evening Service -  6:00 pm

Wednesday:


Soul Winning - 6:00 pm
Mid Week Service- 7:00 pm
Teen Time in the Bible - 7:00 pm
Junior Bible Club- 7:00 pm

Thursday:


Soul Winning- 10:30 am

 

Address

8331 Gratiot Road
Saginaw, MI 48609
(Across the Street from Meijer)
Phone: (989) 781-2340
Fax: (989) 781-1344

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Dr. Douglas R. Jackson, Pastor

We Are

"The Church That's Friendly to You and Faithful to God!"

An Independent, Fundamental, Bible-Believing, Baptist Church

Search

Online Giving

 

Podcast